Radon in Kansas City homes

Radon: The Invisible Hazard In Your Home

Did you know that the earth gives off natural radiation which can seep into your home and become an indoor air hazard for your family? This form of radiation is called radon gas and it comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil.

Radon is all around us, but when it is trapped indoors, it becomes a serious health concern. In fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer among smokers and the top cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. It is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year — killing more people than even drunk driving.

Radon is invisible and odorless and can appear in any type of home: old, new, with or without a basement. High indoor radon levels have been found in every state. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates about 1 in 15 homes have high levels of radon. That’s about 8 million homes with high levels.

Radon gas moves from the soil and rocks into our homes through openings and cracks in our home’s foundation and through sump pumps, floor drains, and even through concrete block walls. Radon can also get in through drinking water. Once indoors, radon can build up indoors to dangerous levels. When this happens, it becomes necessary to take action.

Radon is consistently rated as one of the top environmental risks addressed by the federal government and the leading environmental cause of cancer.

You can find out more about testing for, and fixing home radon problems at https://www.epa.gov/radon/